In one of the most egregious violations of the First Amendment’s guarantee of free speech seen in quite some time, Tarek Mehanna, an American Muslim, was convicted this week in a federal court in Boston and then sentenced yesterday to 17 years in prison. He was found guilty of supporting Al Qaeda (by virtue of translating Terrorists’ documents into English and expressing “sympathetic views” to the group) as well as conspiring to “murder” U.S. soldiers in Iraq (i.e., to wage war against an invading army perpetrating an aggressive attack on a Muslim nation). I’m still traveling and don’t have much time today to write about the case itself — Adam Serwer several months ago wrote an excellent summary of why the prosecution of Mehanna is such an odious threat to free speech and more background on the case is here, and I’ve written before about the growing criminalization of free speech under the Bush and Obama DOJs, whereby Muslims are prosecuted for their plainly protected political views — but I urge everyone to read something quite amazing: Mehanna’s incredibly eloquent, thoughtful statement at his sentencing hearing, before being given a 17-year prison term.
At some point in the future, I believe history will be quite clear about who the actual criminals are in this case: not Mehanna, but rather the architects of the policies he felt compelled to battle and the entities that have conspired to consign him to a cage for two decades.
- straywithin reblogged this from disobey
- strawberriesinthesink said: Well said. Thank you for bringing this up as well, I had not heard of this.
- strawberriesinthesink likes this
- racismschool likes this
- mamitah reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- the-concept likes this
- america-wakiewakie likes this
- gracefulsteeples likes this
- occupydfw reblogged this from socialuprooting
- occupydfw likes this
- jayaprada likes this
- disobey reblogged this from socialuprooting
- protoslacker reblogged this from socialuprooting
- protoslacker likes this
- theamericanbear likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from socialuprooting