— Gwynne Dyer at Straight. Ebola and the economics of infection
Rachel Pearson in The Texas Observer. Disease Threat From Immigrant Children Wildly Overstated
The Central American kids arriving in Texas are likely to be better-vaccinated than children in Texas.
Will Bunch at Philly.com. A Harrisburg scandal that no one is talking about
— Neha Misra at Indian Country Today. Journeys of Light: When Women Power Meets Green Power
Keiji Fukuda quoted in an article by Sara Reardon in Nature. WHO warns against ‘post-antibiotic’ era
Agency recommends global system to monitor spread of resistant microbes.
Katherine Eban at CNNMoney. Dirty medicine
The epic inside story of long-term criminal fraud at Ranbaxy, the Indian drug company that makes generic Lipitor for millions of Americans.
— AFP/jc Channel NewsAsia. SARS-like virus patent complicating diagnosis
— Ruth Messinger at RH Reality Check. Why Sex Workers Must Be Part of the Global Human Rights Agenda
Sociolingo at SocioLingo Africa. Netting flies and mosquitoes protects livestock, boosts milk yields
David France in New York Magazine.
Dr. Ramon Torres was a hero on the front lines against the epidemic for over a decade. It was when the war began to be won that he got lost.
A long read, but David France touches on issues so much bigger than Dr. Torres. The system for health care is broken in so many ways. That takes a toll on doctors and all the people working to prevent death and restore health.
- “[Adam] Smith wanted free public education, state financed infrastructure and health measures, the breaking up of monopolies and other reforms that...”
- “The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing,...”
- “The reality is that the government was not reducing the amount of money devoted to management of the urban poor. It was radically altering what the...”
- “A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.”— Jorge Luis Borges, Ficciones
- “It’s funny how inaccurate
first impressions can be,
but yours still makes me
laugh to this very day.
No, waving your arms about
won’t stop me...”
What’s the most important sound...